18 April 2011

First seedlings in the garden - Mixed results

Over the last week, I've begun planting out the first of the seedlings, with some mixed results.  So far, four broccoli plants are out in some homemade milk bottle cloches, and they are doing great!  Saturday, I put out 4 bok choi and 8 lettuce plants as tests, and the bok choi are doing really well, but the lettuce were all shredded by the 40mph wind we had with the storm Saturday night.  The temperature forecast for this week seems favorable for another test round.  I may also try to get some more direct seeded, as well as some carrots seeded out this week, if I can manage to find 15 minutes one evening.

Also, the snow peas I seeded on April 3rd are finally making an appearance!  I might have to add one horizontal run of twine between the soil and the bottom of the trellis to help them bridge the gap.  After the soil in the beds settling, the distance is almost 1.5' and I'm not sure they can make it that far on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment